Gluten free, grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free, vegan brownies…
Unfortunately I can not take full credit for these. A Spunky Coconut has some great gluten free recipes, one of which is a vegan almond butter brownie. I changed the original recipe to make it my own, but she deserves the credit!
These brownies are rich and lightly sweetened. You can even leave the stevia out if you don’t mind unsweetened desserts! The dough before baking would be perfect for raw truffles!
Recipe: (Adapted from A Spunky Coconut)
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 T ground flax seeds
- 3/4 c or 170 g roasted, lightly salted almond butter (you can use whatever kind of almond butter you like, but this is what I used)
- 1/4 c medium roasted carob powder
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t maple extract (optional)
- 1 T lucuma powder (optional)
- 3 T chopped walnuts (optional)
- stevia to taste (I used 15 drops)
In a food processor, first puree the banana with the ground flax seeds until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients (except the walnuts) and puree until combined. Press dough into a baking dish (I used a bread pan) and sprinkle with the walnuts. Press the walnuts into the dough and bake at 180 C or 350 F for about 16-18 minutes. If you want to use a regular 9×9 pan, I would suggest doubling this recipe.